Navigator Consulting Homepage
Download Our Rates

Affordable Accounting and Bookkeeping

Our Clients' Feedback!

Super helpful, knowledgeable and efficient in answering my questions and helping me compile and submit this years' tax return at very short notice. And best of all, instead of paying taxes I ended up getting a nice refund. I highly recommend her and look forward to using her services again in the future.

Gisela H.

Industry News

It is important to understand your responsibilities and how payroll works to ensure you are not assessed penalties and interest or suffer other consequences.

Read more accounting news

Accounting FAQ

How I can determine what expenses I claim and what I don’t?

According to the Income Tax Act expense is deductible for tax purposes if it is:

—  Deductible using Generally Accepted Accounting Principles;
—  Not a capital expenditure;
—  Incurred to earn taxable income;
—  Not personal or living expense;
—  Reasonable in the circumstances.

You cannot claim some of the expenses and among them are:

—  Life insurance premiums (there is an exception where such insurance policy is used as a collateral for a business loan);
—  “Capital” expenses – those expenditures, for tax purposes, are subject to the capital cost allowance (CCA), which provides for deduction based on a percentage of cost on declining balance basis;
—  Personal expenses (there still could be a “business part” in some of them);
—  Prepaid expenses (for future periods);
—  Financing of business projects (such expenses should be amortized);
—  Most types of CRA’s interest and penalties;
—  Interest for vacant land (there is a limit you still can deduct);
—  Golf/sports clubs memberships (there are circumstances where you can deduct a portion of such fees – consult with your accountant for details);
—  Payments for some legal and accounting services;
—  Most payments for advertising in a foreign media;
—  50% of meals and entertainment expenses (some of them qualify for 100% deduction, check the CRA’s website or consult with your accountant for details).

More Accounting Questions and Answers